There are few dishes as crowd-pleasing and dreamy as the Nasu Dengaku – Miso Aubergine
RECIPE FOR DREAMY MISO AUBERGINE
Ingredients for 2 small aubergines
- 2 small aubergines
- Vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons Miso Tasty Organic White Miso Paste
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon caster or granulate sugar
- 1 tablespoon sake or rice wine
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds to garnish
- The key to aubergine unctuousness is the first step of shallow frying the aubergines first. Cut the aubergines in half lengthways and score the flesh in a criss-cross shape without cutting through to the skin.
- In a shallow frying pan, heat up 3-4 tablespoons of cooking oil on medium heat before adding the aubergines flesh side down for 3-4 minutes until charred and the flesh becomes soft. Flip them over and fry for a further 4 minutes, before flipping over a final time for 2 minutes. The aubergines should be about 80% cooked through.
- Lay the aubergines in a baking tray, lined with foil and rubbed with a little oil – Aubergines LOVE oil, so don’t deny it!
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together all the ingredients first the miso and the sake and mirin together until you have smooth paste, then the sugar and mix again.
- Using a spoon or pastry brush, spread a 2 mm layer of sweet miso paste onto the aubergines pieces, flesh side up.
- Pop under the grill or hot over of 220 degrees C, for a further 3-4 minutes or until the miso is bubbling and starting to char. It is tempting to add too much miso on your aubergines. Be sparing as it is all about the gentle contrast of the creamy aubergine flesh with the sweet slighty tangy and savoury miso topping – too much miso and you lose that lovely contrast on your palate. Don’t worry if you have some leftover miso paste though. it is lovely as a marinade for salmon and chicken too!
- Top with toasted sesame seeds just before serving!