Yes, you heard us right! Miso on a pizza! Miso and Tomato are fantastic friends in the kitchen; they boost each other’s umami level in a gentle way; you won’t actually taste a miso flavour in this pizza you will only notice how rich the tomato sauce is. In this pizza, it is like you have added meat or anchovies to the pizza, only you haven’t; miso adds umami richness to tomato sauce in a vegan way. Clever? We think so!
Ingredients (makes 2 pizzas)
- 300g strong bread flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100ml passata
- 1 tbsp Miso Tasty white miso paste
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150g buffalo mozzarella
- Fresh Basil leaves
- Make the base: Put the flour into a big bowl, then stir in the yeast and salt. Make a well, pour in 200ml warm water and the olive oil and bring together with a wooden spoon until you have a soft, fairly wet dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 mins until smooth. Cover with a tea towel and set aside.
- To make the sauce, Mix the passata, miso paste, basil and crushed garlic together, then season to taste.
- Knead out the pizza dough into 2 rounds of dough, about 25cm wide. Then lift onto 2 floured baking sheets.
- Heat oven to 240C/fan 220C.
- Put another baking sheet or an upturned baking tray in the oven on the top shelf. Spread the sauce over bases with the back of a spoon. Scatter with the mozzarella and tomatoes, drizzle with olive oil and season.
- Put one pizza, still on its baking sheet, on top of the preheated sheet or tray. Bake for 8-10 mins until crisp. Serve with a little more olive oil, and basil leaves if using. Repeat for the second pizza.