A Sapporo-ramen inspired favourite, the miso butter ramen is a simple dish to pull off well with just a few simple ingredients. It is essentially a tasty noodle soup, taken to the next level.
Make sure you have practiced your slurrrrrping for extra authenticity!
The miso butter is made from a mix of soft white miso and good quality unsalted butter. Allow it to melt into the ramen slowly, to gradually enrichen the miso broth. Sweetcorn is fantastic when it is in season, all golden and crunchy as a topping and also hails from Hokkaido, the birthplace of miso ramen. If you like meat or fish, miso ramen loves rich toppings like roast pork, roast chicken, crispy tofu and oily fish like salmon or tuna.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 Ramen Noodles
- 1.5 tbsp white miso
- 1.5 tbsp red miso
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 550ml Chicken stock or dashi
- 1 Sweetcorn
- Tender stem broccoli
- Roast Chicken, sliced
- 2 Spring onions
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp white miso
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Chilli oil (optional)
- Make the miso butter by blending 2tbsp of unsalted butter and 2tbsp of white miso paste until smooth. Cover and place in the fridge.
- Cook the noodles according to packet instructions, drain, then rinse in cold water to stop the cooking. Divide the noodles between 2 bowls and set aside.
- To prepare the toppings, first boil the eggs for 6-7 mins, then carefully remove from the boiling water and leave to cool.
- In a fresh pan of boiled water, cook the sweetcorn for 8-10 mins until tender, remove from the water and dress with a little butter.
- Pour away most of the hot water used to cook the sweetcorn leaving roughly only 1cm and return to the heat.
- Add the tender stem broccoli and simmer for 2-3 minutes until cooked.
- In a large pot, bring to boil for 3 minutes 550ml of chicken stock or dashi.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, mix 1.5 tbsp of white miso paste, 1.5 tbsp of red miso paste and sesame oil together until smooth, then stir into the hot stock to make the broth.
- Turn the heat off and get ready to top the ramen!
- Finely slice the spring onions.
- Deshell the eggs and then cut them in half lengthways.
- Cut the corn from the cob with a sharp knife.
- Carefully pour the hot broth over the separate bowls of noodles until you see only the tops of the noodle in the bowl.
- Divide the roast chicken, tender stem broccoli, sweetcorn, spring onions and egg halves and arrange them on top of the noodles in each bowl.
- Finish off with a scoop or cube of miso butter on top before serving.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and chilli oil to taste.