If you love a good tuna melt the umami scores are off the charts. Use good quality jarred tuna for the best results. Recipe is one of sixty available in Miso Tasty: The Cookbook.
Tuna & Miso Cheese Toastie | Serves 4
- 250g/90z/ 1 cup jarred or canned tuna in oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp peeled & finely grated root ginger
- 2 spring onions (scallions) finely chopped
- 4 tbsp white miso
- 2 tbsp mirin
- unsalted butter for the bread
- 8 slices of sourdough, or your fav type of bread
- 200g / 7oz/ 2 cups of grated cheese
- a little oil for the griddle pan (optional)
Simply put the tuna, garlic, ginger, spring onions, miso and mirin into a small bowl and mix throughly.
Butter the bread on both sides and then spread the tuna mixture on one side of half the bread slices. Now layer the cheese generously over the tuna. Top with the pieces of plain buttered bread.
Place each sandwich on a lightly oiled griddle pan, pressing down and cooking for 2 mins on each side before serving, or simply use a toasted sandwich maker. The cheese should be melted and dripping before serving.