Veggie gravies can sometimes lack in depth, when it is purely onion based. I love adding miso to mine for a rich deep flavour to enjoy with all your winter dishes.
Make enough for 4 portions.
• 1 small onion, thinly sliced
• Olive oil
• 2 tbsp of Miso Tasty Red miso paste
• 2 tbsp water
• 2 tablespoons butter (or vegan margarine)
• 3 tablespoons of plain flour
• 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
• 1 tsp cornflour dissolved in 2 tbsp of water.
1. Mix the miso and water together until smooth.
2. In a frying pan, add olive oil and slowly cook the onions for 10 minutes until softened and slightly caramelised.
3. Melt the butter and flour together on low heat in a small saucepan, for 3 minutes before adding the miso mixture. Stir gently then add onions.
4. Finally add the cornflour mix, and stir through for a further 5 minutes on low heat. Add more water if the mixture is too thin.
TIP: For extra sweetness, I also like to add a dash of red wine towards the end of cooking too!
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.