Veggie gravies can sometimes lack in depth, when it is purely onion based. I love adding miso to mine for a rich deep flavour to enjoy with all your winter dishes.
Make enough for 4 portions.
• 1 small onion, thinly sliced
• Olive oil
• 2 tbsp of Miso Tasty Red miso paste
• 2 tbsp water
• 2 tablespoons butter (or vegan margarine)
• 3 tablespoons of plain flour
• 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
• 1 tsp cornflour dissolved in 2 tbsp of water.
1. Mix the miso and water together until smooth.
2. In a frying pan, add olive oil and slowly cook the onions for 10 minutes until softened and slightly caramelised.
3. Melt the butter and flour together on low heat in a small saucepan, for 3 minutes before adding the miso mixture. Stir gently then add onions.
4. Finally add the cornflour mix, and stir through for a further 5 minutes on low heat. Add more water if the mixture is too thin.
TIP: For extra sweetness, I also like to add a dash of red wine towards the end of cooking too!
Photo credit to Slow The Cook Down