This super easy roasted whole cauliflower is too good to be served as a side dish. Make this the centre piece and carve it at the table for extra theatre. The spicy miso marinades penetrate the flowers quickly and bring out the natural sweet and woody tones. Serve with rice to soak up the extra sauce, and some greens for sharing.
If your cauliflower is quite large, wrap it in some foil and bake for an initial 15 minutes first, before adding the marinade. Miso can burn easily, so this method ensures that your miso is perfectly golden and caramelised.
Ingredients (serves 4 as a main, 6 as a side dish)
- 1 head of cauliflower, about 700 g / 1 lb 9oz
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red miso
- 1/2 tbsp Chinese chilli-garlic sauce
- 1tbsp peeled and finely grated root ginger
1 tsp finely grated lime zest, plus 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 spring onions (scallions), finely sliced
- 2 tsp toasted white and black sesame seeds
- Cut the leaves and stem off the cauliflower so that it sits flat, and wash the head then drain.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sesame and olive oils, the miso, chilli-garlic sauce, ginger and lime zest and juice until fully combined.
- Using your hands, rub the mix over the cauliflower, making sure you get it everywhere, even the base.
- Leave for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C / 325°F / Gas mark 3.
- Put the cauliflower on a lined baking tray and roast for 1 hour.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and sprinkle the spring onions and toasted sesame seeds over.
- Slice the cauliflower at the table into wedges, as if cutting a cake.