The classic miso aubergine is one of Miso Tasty’s most requested and searched-for recipes. This homemade miso custard topped aubergine is really worth the extra effort and makes for a very rich sweet topping. Make a bit extra and you can glaze fish and chicken or tofu with it too.
The key to really succulent miso aubergine pieces is to roast the aubergine until cooked through BEFORE topping it with this sauce. Think of the miso sauce more as a glaze than as a marinade. This is such a crowd pleaser and easy to make, it will quickly become part of your cooking repertoire. Great with noodles or rice, or simply with a spoon!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 long Purple or black Aubergine
- 1 egg yolk
- 250g White miso paste
- 1.5 tbsp Caster sugar
- 1.5 tbsp Mirin
- 1.2 tsp finely grated unwaxed lemon zest
- a little rapeseed or other flavourless oil
- 2tbs sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F/ Gas mark 4.
- Whisk the egg yolk with the sugar in a heat proof bowl.
- Add the miso to the mixture and keep whisking, add the mirin and whisk again.
- Place the bowl over a pan of boiling water and cook it gently for 3-5 mins until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. Add the lemon zest.
- Slice the aubergines in half lengthways vertically and score the flesh with a sharp knife leaving the skin in tact.
- Drizzle generously over the aubergine flesh with the oil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the oven and set aside to cool for a few minutes before spreading the miso sauce on top.
- Bake for a further 5-10 minutes in the oven until golden but not charred.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top and serve.